Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Another Negotiations Victory! (This Time For Me)

That Jimmy Ade sure is one tough negotiator!

Hold on! Whew, I almost pissed my pants from laughing so hard when I typed that first sentence. I still cannot believe I was able to pull this one over on the sergeants union. Now, if the sergeants themselves are actually dumb enough to ratify this and I can bullshit the State Legislature, then I've effectively got my hands in the pockets of each and every working and retired copper regardless of their rank. Remember, you're all in the same pension fund and any legislation would affect you all.

The sergeant's union agreed to contribute an additional three percent of their earnings to fund the Police Pension without any matching funds from the City coffers.

I'm sure you're asking yourselves why any union would agree this. I'm right there with you asking myself the same question. You all know I've been in a panic what with the Actuarial Recommended Contributions that the City will be required to contribute into the pension funds in the not too distant future. By agreeing to the extra three percent, the union is effectively bailing out the City by lessening its required obligation to the Police Pension Fund. Yours Truly could not be any happier with this decision. This alone makes it a victory. But wait, it gets better.

Remember that three percent COLA that retirees born before 1955 used to get. I say used to get because if this thing goes through that will be a thing of the past. They will only get a two and one-half percent COLA. Not every year mind you, but every other year. Don't ask me why they wanted this. It baffles me too, but that's still not the end. It gets even better.

Retirees who retired at 55 years of age with twenty years of service used to receive free healthcare. Let me repeat that. Free healthcare. You probably noticed that I used the phrase "used to" again. I did because the free healthcare will be a thing of the past. Retirees will now be required to pay two percent of their annuity to pay for their healthcare. Again, you may ask why and again I don't have any real idea. All I know is that for a guy who is trying desperately to get out of the retiree healthcare issue this is a win. Kinda reminds me of that Podgorny thing several years back when he tried to convince FOP members that a buck a check for healthcare wasn't all that much to pay. Look what I get for healthcare from them today. Many thanks, Bob. Maybe next contract we can bump up the retiree contributions to say twenty percent. I almost can't wait for this contract to be over and it hasn't even begun.

I still do have one question on my mind. I wonder what it would take to get the FOP to take attorney Tom Pleines back into the fold. I would just love for him to be on their negotiating team. At the very least it would likely ensure another big win for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment